Looking for your best MTB hub?
The right hub will make your ride smoother and more efficient by transferring power from your pedals directly into forward motion with minimal loss of energy. This means that you won’t have to work as hard when climbing hills or accelerating out of turns!
There are many different types of hubs to choose from, and it can be difficult to know which one is best. Weâ€™ve done the research so you donâ€™t have to. In this article, we will cover the most popular MTB hubs on the market today, as well as what they offer and how much they cost.
- Made of Iron, durable and practical for most bikes
- Shorter set of hollow shaft and hub quick release lever for the front wheel, longer one for the rear wheel.
- Short release lever for front wheel, hollow shaft size: 10.8cm / 4.25", quick release: 16cm / 6.3"
- Long release lever for the rear wheel, hollow shaft size: 14.5cm / 5.7", quick release: 19cm / 7.48"
- You can use it to repair your mountain bike quickly. Perfect for cycling lovers, your best choice.
- 🚴♂️- Great Deal, You are looking at our new released pair of MTB Hubs for BOOST Version, we cover all your needs from the standard Shimano 8-11 speed HG driver, Sram XD driver 11-12 speed and the new Shimano Micro Spline driver 12 Speed. Whatever you use QR(quick release), Thru Axle or Boost version. Perfect to part with our hot selling Drivetrain Groupset Components;
- 🌟 - Light Well Made, CNC Machined 3d forged alloy A6061T6 body + A7075 driver, 2 sealed bearing in Front and 4 in Rear;114 sound(6pawls+57teeth); F110*15mm/R148*12mm a pair; You may find QR&Alxe version in our store page;
- 🎁 - Gift Options, it looks just as a beauty with excellent annodization, You may find it a gift option to your husband, wife, boyfriend, girlfriend, or gift for your kids' bike for back to school gift, Christmas gift, Valentine's day gift, Mother's day or Father's day gift, thanksGiving gift or New year gifts, for mountain bike, fat bike or e-bike;
- 🏫 - We Support Business, just place bulk purchase and replace the chainrings for your other family bikes, recommend to your community. We offer business price for bike bicycle shops, Sponsorship is available for frequent riders and PROs;
- 🤟 - Match DIY bike build Option, find rotors, brakes, find mtb pedals, cassette, single chainring from store page, even groupset to build your bike. We commit for great affortable bicycle parts to improve your performance and experience;
- Package included: 1 front hub, 1 rear hub and 2 skewers.
- Made of high quality aluminum alloy material, durable and lightweight.
- Competible with 8-11speed rotary freewheel
- Low-friction seals effectively shut out water, mud and dirt.
- Quick release lever allows for fast installation and removal!
- The new updated Road Mountain Cycling parts are made of Steel 1045, the quick release are made of alum, durable and practical for most bikes.
- Usually the axels fit 20" 22" 24" 26" 28" bike, work on a 6 7 8 speed road bike, durable and extra hard dustproof cap, the thickness: 65 degrees, 2.4mm / 0.09inch.
- The long release lever for the rear wheel, hollow shaft size: approx. 5.7", diameter: approx. 0.35", quick release: approx. 7.48"
- The short release lever for front wheel, hollow shaft size: approx. 4.33", quick release: approx. 6.3"
- The quick release skewer weight: approx. 270g / 9.2oz, color: black
- EASY TO USE: Simply remove the rear wheel off the bike. Clamp the chain keeper or dummy hub on the dropout. Keeps chain out of the way when transporting or wrenching on your bike.
- DUAL FUNCTION: It is compatible with quick release dropout and 12mm thru axle.
- CLEAN & TRANSPORTATION: YC-521 can be replaced freewheel for bike repair or chain clean Inserted into the right rear dropout when the wheel is removed for cleaning, storing, or transport.
- COMPATIBILITY: Quick release lever allows for fast installation and removal. Works with all derailleurs and 1/8" chain, works on frames with 9mm open-type dropouts.
- ORDER NOW, WORRY FREE! We're so confident about our product quality that we can provide a life time warranty ! Made in Taiwan.
- All Aluminum Alloy CNC Precision Technology Disc Brake Only
- Sealed Bearings 2+4 ( Front & Rear ) 6 Pawls 72 Clicks System Spokes 32H
- Cap ends compatible with QR 9x100+10x135mm
- Cassette Body: Shimano 8-11S Compatible
- Weight Front QR-185G , Rear QR-305G
- 【Features】The bicycle hub adopts 6J hooks, which are stable and durable, high in efficiency, and good in sound transmission. Whether on the street or off-road, you can be full of passion. Simply replace the front and rear covers to switch to the thru Axle hub.
- 【Lightweight and exquisite】 Front: 9 x 100 mm, rear: 10 x 135 mm (with standard 5 mm diameter quick release) 32 holes, 108Click. Precision-machined NBK bearings, low friction, strong sealing, can effectively isolate water, mud and dirt, and can achieve smooth and fast riding.
- 【Compatibility】 6-bolt disc brake. Suitable for Shimano HG standard 8 9 10 11 speed, SRAM XD 11 12 speed and Shimano Micro 12 speed freewheel body.
- 【High-quality material】 The bicycle wheel hub is made of high-quality aluminum alloy material, which is high in strength, does not rust, does not deform, and is durable. The precision-machined 7075 aviation aluminum shaft core is ultra-light.
- 【Easy installation】 The package contains two quick-release levers, which are easy to install and quick to remove! It is a useful accessory for cyclists' DIY bicycles.
- The new updated Road Mountain quick release are made of aluminum alloy, durable and practical for most bikes.
- Front quick release is about 145mm(5.71 inch); rear quick release is about 185mm(7.28inch). Universal fitting for all front and rear cycle wheels with hollow axle.
- Great workmanship, CNC machined, smooth cam action lever, a rapid release seat clamp skewer, practical parts for your bikes.
- Resistant to high temperatures and abrasion, durable, bike wheel quick release ensures for long time use.
- The quick release total weight: approx. 96g / 3.39oz, color: black
- [Special Design] The springs are fixed on the nuts so that not easy to lose
- [Axle] Diameter: 5mm
- [Material] Steel Axle and Aluminum alloy Clamp
- [Length] Front:112mm /Rear:148mm [Weight] Front:50g /Rear:55g
- [Origin] Made in Taiwan. We pride ourselves on product quality. Let us help you if you have any questions, we will be glad to assist you.
- This is 32hole Red 10x135mm Quick Release (QR) Rear hub only. Compatible with Shimano 8-11speed & Sram 8-10 speed.
- The classic 6 pawls / 72 hd freehub system. High efficiency and great sounds transmission. Whatever ride on the street or offroad, you can be passionate
- All Aluminum Alloy CNC Precision Technology Disc Brake, super light, J-hook stable, durable
- 32Hole, 6 Pawls, Bearings Front 2 Rear 4, 305g.
- Tool-Free endcups converter kits allows you to switch between QR and Thru at will.
- FREEHUB - WALGUN WG704 Freehub is made of steel. It is a threaded freehub. It is characterized by good quality and new stability. It is compatible with Shimano HG 8 9 10 11 speed mountain bike cassettes.
- MATERIAL - The hub body of WALGUN WG704 is made of aluminum alloy CNC, and the Freehub and shaft are made of steel, which makes the hub have higher quality and lighter weight.
- BEARING - WG704 uses TTN bearings, front hub 2 Bearing, rear hub 2 Bearing
- HIGH QUALITY - Although the steel Freehub and the shaft are heavier than aluminum alloy, it can withstand greater force, which improves the quality of the WG704 hub.
- ANODIZING - Anodized black is durable and will not fade.
- 32Hole, 6 Pawls, NBK Bearings (Made in Taiwan). 2 Sealed Bearings----Front Hub. 4 Sealed Bearings----Rear Hub. Front and Rear hubs +QR lever, smooth and quite rolling. 108 Clicks, issued a crisp clatter.
- Axles 7075 aluminum alloy ,Hub shell 6061 aluminum alloy , aluminum alloy material has super corrosion resistance, rust resistance. CNC Precision Technology Disc Brake, stable, durabl
- Front: 9 x 100 mm, rear: 10 x 135 mm (with standard 5 mm diameter quick release) 32 holes, Precision-machined NBK bearings, low friction, strong sealing, can effectively isolate water, mud and dirt, and can achieve smooth and fast riding.
- 6-bolt disc brakes. Fits Shimano HG standard 8 9 10 11 12 speed cassette.
- package contains two quick-release levers, which are easy to install and quick to remove!
- Bore Dia (d): 17mm Outer Dia (D): 30mm Width (B): 7mm
- Material: Chrome Steel / Si3N4 Balls
- Compared With Steel Ball Bearing,Hybrid Ceramic Ball Bearing Has Long Service Life,Higher Speeds,Durable & Insulation
- For Bike Type: BMX Bike, BMX Bike - Old School, Hybrid/Comfort Bike, Mountain Bike, Road Bike - Racing, Road Bike - Touring, Time Trial/Triathlon
- 52100 Chrome Steel Outer Ring & Inner Ring +Si3N4 Ceramic Balls +Nylon Cage +Grease + Sealed = HYBRID CERAMIC BEARINGS
- 32 Spoke holes
- Made of aluminium
- Fits for quick release axle type
- Axle measures 10 mm diameter by 145 mm length
- Available in black anodized finish with adhesive stickers
- New KOOZER XM490pro 30 CRMO Alxe ( Same weight with XM490)
- All Aluminum Alloy CNC Precision Technology Disc Brake Only
- Sealed Bearings 2+4 ( Front & Rear ) 6 Pawls 72 Clicks System Spokes 32H
- Cap ends compatible with QR 5x100+5x135mm
- Cassette Body: Shimano 8-11S Compatible Weight Front QR-170G , Rear QR-320G
- Industry Nine
- Hydra Classic Rear Hub
- Rear Hub
- Doneen, Nathan (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 293 Pages - 09/28/2014 (Publication Date) - ThoughtBed Publishing (Publisher)
- Armor protected dedicated laptop compartment with RSS fits most 15 Inch laptops
- Integrated foam panels keep your electronics and other valuables protected
- Padded iPad/tablet/e reader pocket
- Crush resistant Tech Vault pocket with soft tricot liner
- HUB (Hybrid Unibody Backpanel) for ultimate comfor
- Deore FH-M618/M615/M525A/T610 Rear Hub
- Black safety washer for bicycle front/rear wheel, contains two sizes(M8 & M10) to meet all needs
- Made of high-hardness steel and heat-treated
- Securely lock the bicycle wheel to ensure safety
- Cool black safety washer can be used for accessory replacement or DIY modification
- Package includes: 2 Pcs M8 and 2 Pcs M10 black high-hardness safety washer
Best MTB Hubs Reviews 2022
DT Swiss DT 350
- DT SWISS front hubs
- Item specifications: axle supplied by fork manufacturer
- This product is manufactured in Switzerland
One of the most respected names in the MTB market, DT Swiss has been producing well-designed hubs for over 100 years. The 350 is their traditional front hub with 2-bolt rotor mounts (also known as a center lock) and a traditional Swiss design.
The hub has adjustable end caps with self-cleaning splines and sealed bearings to keep rain and dirt out of the mechanism, along with a 12mm Chromoly axle for improved stiffness.
The DT 350 is a 2-bolt front hub with a traditional Swiss design. It weighs 460 grams and can fit through a 31.8mm fork.
The axle for this hub is sourced from the bike manufacturer, not DT Swiss themselves â€“ so you’ll need to do your own research before choosing a fork. The hub features a 12 mm Chromoly axle and self-cleaning splines to reduce weight, corrosion, and friction.
The DT 350 has a sealed system to keep rain and dirt out of the bearings as well as an adjustable end cap to allow for fine-tuning of bearing alignment. The DT 350 also comes in polka dot pink (for those that like that sort of thing).
One great thing about Swiss products is that there’s always a great warranty – in this case, DT offers an industry-leading 5-year warranty against manufacturing defects.
We love that DT Swiss offers a 5-year warranty, and we’re sure you’ll love the well-designed hub. It’s available in black or pink and measures 460 grams. Also, this hub is available in a complete wheel, which might make installation easier for some.
For those looking for an affordable front hub, the DT 350 is a good choice. The only downside to buying this hub is that you will need to buy your own axle separately which can be a bit of a hassle for those that aren’t very experienced with working on bikes or don’t have their own tools.
Still, at this price point, you can’t go wrong with the DT Swiss 350. It offers a Swiss-made hub body, adjustable end caps for fine-tuning, and self-cleaning splines that keep your bike running smoothly.
Overall, the DT Swiss DT 350is a good hub â€“ especially for those looking for a front hub that isn’t very expensive. If you’re experienced with bike mechanics, you should have no problem installing this hub.
– One of the most respected names in the MTB market
– 5-year warranty
– Well-designed hub
– Affordable price range
– Wheel requires a separate axle purchase which can be a hassle for those that don’t have tools or experience with bike mechanics.
- Angular contact bearings
- Double contact seals
- Borozon treated races
- Large flange design
- Shimano Reference Number: HB-M756L
The Shimano HB-M756 has some interesting features which make it very attractive. The design of the bearings is good with angular-contact bearings and double-seal designs.
The races are of high quality with Borozonite treatment. The hubs are designed for larger-sized flanges which make them look good and also allows for easier installation on most frames. They work very well and the hubs are durable enough for regular use.
We find that the weight is just right at 635 grams for both front and rear hubs which makes them quite lightweight. They are compatible with Shimano 10 speed cassettes and come in silver color.
One great feature about these hubs is that they can be installed externally or internally. You just match them with the right brake disc and spacers and they work like a charm.
The installation is also pretty easy and won’t take you more than 20 minutes to get them on your bike. We find these hubs great value for money, durable, and strong enough for most people.
Not to mention the hubs are available at a very reasonable price. For users looking for a set of hubs that are lightweight, durable, and strong enough to be used regularly on most types of bikes, these Shimano ones offer good value.
These hubs will last 4-5 times longer than most standard ones out there in the market. After installation, they work perfectly without any noise or resistance.
We found the customer service to be very good as well. The hubs come with a warranty of 1 year and you can get it replaced if there is any problem. We feel these are excellent value for money and work perfectly as advertised.
Another thing we noticed is that the rear hub has a cog of 11 teeth and this means you can easily change gears on your bike. The design is also very attractive with silver color which goes well with most bikes.
This makes it easier for people to understand how these hubs work. If you are looking for something durable, strong, and competitively priced then you should definitely give the Shimano HB-M756 hubs a try.
We recommend these hubs for mountain biking if you are looking for something lightweight, durable, and strong with a great design. It is also very reasonably priced which makes it all the more attractive.
– Good bearing design, double seal, and borozon treatment
– Large flange for easier installation on bike frames. Smaller size means more space on the smaller frames.
– Competitive price, good value for money.
– Design looks pretty attractive and does not look out of place on most bikes.
JGbike MTB Hub
A lot of riders are focusing on their drivetrain these days, which is a common-sense decision. MTB hubs can be big factors in performance and drivetrain longevity. In this review, we will go over the features of the JGbike MTB Hub to give you an idea of what you can expect from them.
The first thing to note about these hubs is that they have been made with durability in mind. The outer body has been machined from a forged alloy that will remain light and durable no matter what happens.
An added bonus is that the hubs also come with two sealed bearings in front and two more in the rear, so any rider can rest assured that they have plenty of protection for their bike’s axle.
The hubs are available in different colors, so you can choose the one that best fits your preferences or your bike. With a QR version, an axle version, and even a micro-spline axle option included in the JGbike MTB Hub Lineup, you have plenty of options to choose from when it comes to making this purchase.
There are so many different colors and options of hubs out there, it is very hard to choose one. Luckily the JG bike MTB hub comes fully CNC machined from a forged alloy body with two sealed bearings in front and two more in the rear for durability.
The JGbike MTB Hub is a great option for any rider that needs a durable hub to use on their axle or QR frame. The hubs are available in many different colors and can be chosen to fit your style, while the forged alloy body will ensure quality throughout every ride.
One of the best features of the JG Bike MTB Hub is that it comes with two sealed bearings in front and two more in the rear for durability. You can also choose from the QR version, the Thru-Axle version, or even the micro-spline axle option to fit your bike perfectly.
We do think that the JG Bike MTB Hub is a great choice for any rider who is looking to upgrade or repair their current axle. The hubs offer durability and style, which make them a great fit for every ride.
Riders who are looking for an entry-level MTB hub that provides durability, style, and quality will be very happy with the JG Bike MTB Hub. These hubs have been CNC machined from a forged alloy body They also come with two sealed bearings in front and two more in the rear for added protection.
If you are looking to upgrade or repair your current axle, the JGbike MTB Hub is a great option. We highly recommend these hubs for riders who enjoy upgrading their components now and then.
– Made with durability in mind.
– Comes with two sealed bearings in front and two more in the rear for protection.
– There are so many colors to choose from, which is helpful when buying for a group or family.
– 100% satisfaction guarantee
TOBWOLF MTB Hub
The TOBWOLF MTB Hub is a sturdy hub that has been specifically designed for mountain bike use. The hub, when used from the front, prevents the wheel from spinning and when used from the back it allows you to coast or freewheel.
It also features sealed cartridge bearings that protect both the inside of the hub from water and dirt and makes them smooth rolling and highly durable for an indeed sustained performance.
The specific axle type of this hub is a Thru Axle which makes it suitable for six-bolt disc brakes and its intended use is mountain bikes.
This model also has a 36-hole drilling pattern, so you can examine your hub spacing & width to make sure it matches your specifications & requirements. The front hub can keep its wheel spinning smoothly, plus its rear hub allows bikers to freewheel or coast.
We find that the TOBWOLF MTB Hub is a tough competitor to many of the models on this list. It’s affordable, comes with sealed cartridge bearings that protect both the inside of the hub from water and dirt making them sturdy plus smooth rolling for an indeed sustained performance.
We think that you will be very satisfied with your purchase if you choose to go with this model.
This MTB hub is very easy to install and adjust and we think that it’s a great choice for many mountain bike riders, so we highly recommend you give it a chance and read the reviews available online as well as other features and specifications about this hub.
As always remember that there might be other MTB Hubs that might be a better fit for your specific needs, so make sure you do your research before making a final decision.
Still, this MTB hub is a sturdy and reliable choice for many mountain riders, so we suggest that you give it a chance and read the available reviews before making your final decision.
The TOBWOLF MTB Hub is affordable and comes equipped with sealed cartridge bearings that protect both the inside of the hub from water and dirt making them highly durable plus smooth rolling for an indeed sustained performance.
We find this hubs’ 36-hole drilling pattern to be a great choice for many mountain bike riders, so we highly recommend you give it a chance and read the reviews available online as well as other features and specifications about this model.
We understand that not everyone wants or needs the same type of MTB hub, but we think you will be very satisfied with your choice if you choose to go with this one.
This MTB hub is easy to install and adjust and we think that it has a lot of potential for any rider who might like the specific features and specifications of the model, so we highly recommend that you give it a chance and read as many reviews as you can.
Remember that there might be other MTB Hubs that are a better fit for your specific needs, so we suggest checking out all of your options and doing your research before making a final decision. Also, don’t forget to examine the hub spacing & width to make sure it matches your own specifications.
Overall, this MTB hub is a great choice for many mountain bike riders, so we think you will be satisfied with your purchase if you decide to go with it.
We hope that this guide has helped you to choose the best MTB Hubs for your drivetrain and that you have liked all of our recommendations. Knowing what type of MTB Hub to buy is clearly one of the most important decisions you will make if you are to keep your bike running smoothly and in top condition.
-Has sealed cartridge bearings and 36-hole drilling pattern
-Easy to install and adjust – it keeps its wheel spinning easily
-Protects the inside of the hub from water and dirt making them smooth rolling and highly durable for sustained performance
-Might be a bit too simple for some riders’ preferences
DONSP1986 MTB Hub
- Bicycle Axle Wheel Hub - 36H Front and Rear Bike Hub Set, Aluminum Alloy Quick Release Lever Skewers Axle, 1 Pair
- Package included: 1 front hub, 1 rear hub and 2 skewers
- With 36 hole drillings, compatible with 5/6/7/8S rotary freewheel, compatible with the ball bearing.
- Precision-machined steel bearings for a smooth and fast ride.
- Low-friction seals effectively shut out water, mud and dirt. Quick release lever allows for fast installation and removal
If you are looking to buy an MTB hub for your drivetrain, consider the DONSP1986 MTB Hub.
This product efficiently acts as a barrier against water, mud & dirt. Riders will also be able to switch out their wheels quickly and easily, which is helpful when time is of the essence and you need to change out your wheels quickly.
This hub also has thirty-six hole drillings, which allows riders to switch between different rotary freewheels without any problems or having to look for a specific MTB hub that can do so. This product features high-quality steel bearings, which allow for a smooth and fluid ride.
Plus, it is also compatible neatly with the rotary freewheel as well as the ball bearing. This means that the product works with a variety of different kinds and brands, which is great for those who want to switch out their rotary freewheels and ball bearings as they please.
It also features seals with low friction that helps keep water, mud & dirt at bay. This means riders can enjoy riding in all kinds of conditions without having to worry about having a subpar outdoor experience because of bad weather.
With its quick-release lever, riders will also be able to switch between rotary freewheels and ball bearings quickly and easily. This is important for those who want to change out the wheel as soon as possible without any problems.
Furthermore, it is very easy to install and remove, thanks to the quick-release lever. It can go on and off the hub easily, which makes assembly and disassembly a breeze. If you are looking to buy an MTB hub for your drivetrain that is quick and easy to install, this product should be first on your list of options.
Another benefit of this product is its affordability. This item won’t strain your wallet because it has all the necessary features you should expect from an MTB hub while being very affordable for most buyers.
With the DONSP1986 MTB Hub, you can enjoy a smooth time riding your bicycle thanks to its efficiently sealed-off hubs that keep water, mud & dirt out. You can also switch between different rotary freewheel types and ball bearings with ease, which is helpful if you want to change your gears often.
The DONSP1986 MTB Hub is good for those looking to invest in a hub that will allow them to do some traveling, as it can efficiently shut out foreign substances from the internals of the wheel. Those who want to take their cycling adventures on new trails should consider getting this product.
This is a solid purchase for those looking to buy an MTB hub. We do recommend going for a slicker, smoother ride if you’re someone who enjoys traveling long distances on their bikes.
– Great for those who want to swap out their rotary freewheels and ball bearings at will without any problems
– Easy to install/remove with the quick-release lever
– Might not be the best MTB hub choice if you are looking for smoother, slicker rides
Best MTB Hubs Benefits
Mountain bike hubs are the heart of your drivetrain. They provide a connection between the gears and the frame, ensuring that power from your legs is translated to forward motion.
The benefits of a good hub include increased strength and durability, lower weight, better performance in extreme weather conditions, and improved tire wear due to fewer pressure variations over bumps or rough terrain.
Mountain bike hubs can be the difference between a smooth ride and having to push your bike uphill. The best MTB hubs will be durable, easy to maintain, and responsive.
All in all, mountain biking can take its toll on bikes so good quality parts will go a long way in preventing breakdowns or costly repairs down the road.
â€¢ Stronger and more durable
â€¢ Lower weight
â€¢ Better performance in extreme weather conditions
â€¢ Improved tire wear due to fewer pressure variations over bumps or rough terrain
â€¢ The best MTB hubs will be durable, easy to maintain, and responsive.
Factors To Consider When Choosing Best MTB Hubs
As we all know, different bikes require different things. Some are for racing, while others are designed to be more comfortable and practical. If youâ€™re in the market for a new bike, it can be difficult to figure out which one is right for you.
One of the most important components of any bike is its hub.
There are many factors that go into choosing the best MTB hub, but here are five of the most important ones to consider when buying your next set of wheels:
Mountain bikes come in two standard sizes. The larger wheel size is 26 inches, while the smaller option features a 20-inch wheel.
As you might expect, the larger wheel size offers more power and more stability on the trail. The smaller wheel size is slightly lighter, so if you intend on spending a lot of time climbing or going uphill, then a 20-inch MTB hub might be right for you.
There are three basic types of hubs to consider when purchasing your wheels: front hub, rear hub, and front hub.
The front hub can be either a Shimano or SRAM brand, while the rear MTB hub will be specific to Shimano or SRAM cassettes.
Generally speaking, you should go with the same brand for both your front and rear hubs in order to ensure that they are compatible with one another.
Number Of Bearings
The number of bearings your wheel requires depends on how often you plan to ride and the terrain that you will be riding on.
If youâ€™re an off-road enthusiast, then more bearings might be necessary. Some MTB hubs come with as many as 17 bearings, which offer a smooth and efficient riding experience.
You also have the option of choosing between cartridge or cup-and-cone bearings. Cartridge bearings are faster and easier to replace, while cup-and-cone MTB hub bearings are typically cheaper and will require more maintenance.
The axle is the part of your wheel that holds it together. When selecting MTB hubs, you should consider aluminum or steel axles.
Aluminum is lighter than steel and offers more adjustability, but it can bend easier, which prevents damage to other components on your bike like cassettes and gears. Steel is much stronger than aluminum, but it is also heavier.
Therefore, if you plan to take your bike off the beaten path, steel might be the better choice because it can stand up to jarring and jolts.
Most people are concerned with compatibility between their front and rear hubs, but the spoke compatibility should be taken into consideration, as well.
If you buy a new MTB hub that isnâ€™t compatible with your current spokes, then you will need to replace them in order to get your wheels up and running. You won’t have to worry about this if you purchase a set of MTB hubs that are already compatible with your bike.
Check out this awesome video below:
FAQs about Best MTB Hubs
What Is The Best Mountain Bike Hub?
The best mountain bike hub depends on your budget and how you plan to use your bike.
The best mountain bike hub depends on a range of factors from initial cash outlay, to needs according to the type of riding (freeride, trail riding), and in some cases frame selection (with or without cassette body) for ease in manufacturing.
What Are The Different Types Of Mountain Bike Hubs?
Different types of mountain bike hubs include freehubs, single-speed hubs, track/fixed gear hubs, and cassette body laced/cassette body type.
You should determine how you will use your bike to determine what type of mountain bike hub is best for you. Take note that there are many options in hubs so even if you choose a certain type, there are several varieties.
How Do I Maintain My Mountain Bike Hub?
You have a variety of maintenance options available depending on the type/brand/model that you choose. You can get regular overhauls to replace bearings and lubrication.
Bicycle hub maintenance options include regular overhauls, swapping bottom brackets, cassette bodies (easier to maintain than freewheels), freewheel removal, bearings that can be replaced or removed from the hub shell.
Some hubs allow for cartridge bearing replacement which is less messy, but more expensive than traditional cup-and-cone overhauls.
How Can I Find Out If My Hub Is Compatible With My Bike?
To figure out if your hub is compatible with your bike, you’ll need to determine whether or not it has a cassette body or freewheel. Freewheels are only compatible with freewheel-compatible frames while cassettes are compatible with both types of frames.
The compatibility of some mountain bikes may change depending on any number of factors including new fork orientation (i.e., which way cables come off top straight), new handlebar placement, updated Bottom Bracket (BB), or new crank/drive-side ratios.
How Long Do They Last?
A hub should last the life of your frame, sometimes longer.
Gears, axles, bearings, and other trimmings are all made of metal so if not properly maintained they can quickly break down – especially when you’re out on the trail far from civilization where you may have to “MacGyver” repairs on the side of the road without any tools- because no one wants their ride pushing up daisies back in town.
The best MTB Hubs for your drivetrain are often the most expensive. However, it’s worth paying a little more upfront to save money in the long run on repairs and maintenance. A few hundred dollars now may end up saving you thousands of dollars later!
We hope that our Buyers Guide to MTB Hubs was helpful for you! If it wasn’t, let us know what would have made the article more interesting and we’ll do our best to provide it in a future post. Thanks again for reading and as always, happy trails!